Monday, March 2, 2009

Skydiving in Interlaken!!!!

When the alarm went off Friday morning I couldn't believe it. I was still exhausted but got up and dressed. We went downstairs for breakfast which turned out to be jam and bread with coffee, tea, or water. Definitely not what we thought or wanted for breakfast. We waited in line at the activities desk to be told to meet at 9 in the lobby for skydiving as we all had prepaid There was 3 van-fuls of people headed to the place for skydiving at SkyDive Interlaken. We filled our forms, passed over the credit card, and waited to suit up.

I was the first of our group to jump. I jumped with someone I didn't know because the tandem people wanted one person without video and one with. I wasn't getting a video so I went ahead. I suited up, got a harness put on and gloves, and waited for the ride up to the helicopter pad. We took a van up to the helicopter pad site, about a five minute ride. The four of us there started the video and then me and the other girl with our tandem people got into the helicopter. I was to jump first so my guy, Mike, sat on the floor of the helicopter and I sat on his lap. He then strapped me to him, tightened all the straps on my harness, and said enjoy the ride. We went over the whole routine for jumping again during the helicopter ride. The ride took 10 minutes to get to the jump site. The whole ride was gorgeous. We had great views of the Swiss Alps, various towns, lakes, landscapes, just great views. When we were given the one minute mark, I started to freak out. The only words out of my mouth were probably OMG and screams. Mike told me to hold my harness, he scooted to the edge of the helicopter and then we were airborne.

I tried screaming but with my mouth open and air rushing in no screams could come out. When the chute deployed I just felt a jolt then I couldn't stop screaming or saying how gorgeous everything was. I was able to steer a little bit, turning left and right and spinning before we glided down to land in the snow on our butts. After unattaching me, Mike told me I could get up but I said, "I don't think I can!" I had to roll over to get up. It was such a rush, jumping out of a helicopter. The best time of my lie. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Since I was the first of my group to go I got to tell them all about it, watch them all do it, and want to do it again. We got there at 9 am and didn't leave until 3 pm as are group was so spread out. Four didn't even go until after 1 pm. This has got to be the best time I've ever had. Hands down, no joke.

After coming back to the hostel, I showered. It felt soooo good to be clean and have a hot watered shower with good water pressure. I then sat in bed, started to write my blog, and play suduko but I couldn't keep my eyes open so I took a nap. Around five I woke up and we all got ready to go to eat dinner at Hooters. My first time at Hooters, Michell and Betsy too. We all ordered, had a good meal, and tried to figure out the bill. Not a lot of us had Swiss francs, the currency in Switzerland, so we all paid in Euro, but Hooters didn't accept euro coins. Somehow the bill was paid, so we left and walked back to FunnyFarm.

Skydiving was one of the best experiences I've ever had. I would do it agian in a heartbeat if it wasn't so expensive. I'm miffed about my photos but that is another story to tell. It's around 10 pm right now and I'm exhausted, so I'll call it a night. Today is a day I will not forget anytime soon. being here is so much fun and I cannot wait to explore Interlaken tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment