Friday, April 17, 2009

April 11, 2009

Holy Saturday. Ania and I, after waking up in the afternoon, decided to go shopping for our Easter dinner. We leave the apartment with our grocery bags in hand and walk to the smaller store near our apartment. We found the store closed when we got there but didn’t think anything of it. We decided to walk, then, to the mall and use the grocery store there. When we got to the mall, it too was closed. At this point we were pretty disgusted with ourselves because we now had no way of buying any food for dinner for Easter. So, we just walked around the main market square and went inside the cloth hall that houses more sellers. I bought this set of Polish boxes that I’m going to give away as gifts to people. I also bought another gift in the market for another one of my aunts.

That night, we had already decided on going to a Folk Show at one of the local restaurants. We got there just before 7 and the place was packed. Ania and I found a little table at the back of the restaurant and sat down. She ordered beer and I ordered wine. After having been in Italy and having tasted some really good white and red wines, I can definitely say that the red I was given was not a very good wine, but, this is Poland and not Italy which in known for wines.

The show consisted of a group of five people, three guys and two girls. There was a trumpet player, a violinist, an accordion player, and two dancers. While the players played traditional and local songs, the dancers danced traditional and local dances. After a half hour of this, our food was brought out. Goulash soup was our dinner. While tasty it was not very filling. But, I enjoyed myself so I cannot complain. After dinner was another half hour of songs and dances. The two dancers periodically took the diners as partners and for one of the dances I was chosen. I’m glad I know somewhat how to polka because I was twirled, spun, and pretty much tossed around the very small dance floor with my partner. I had a ton of fun dancing though, even though it was very tiring after a while. When I walked back to Ania, she was laughing and crying at how I was practically tossed around the dance floor. She got pictures of it too which I will post later.

After dinner, we walked around town for a good hour or so before going back to the apartment and crashing again. We decided to go to the Easter Mass around 12 so we set our alarms and went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment