Friday, April 17, 2009

April 10th, 2009

Friday, Good Friday, the day Jesus died. I should have gone to Mass today but, none of us got up until really late so we didn’t leave the apartment until around 2ish or so. We went to the mall first thing because Nikki wanted to get some pictures printed to we went to find a Kodak Express. At the mall, we hit the ground floor first. We stopped at this luggage store and I picked up a fairly large suitcase to replace Grandma’s that was destroyed when I came over to Italy three months ago. I cannot believe that it has been that long. Three months: in a foreign country on a foreign continent with limited access to my parents and family; three months: in places where I barely know the language, just enough to get me around. It had definitely been an experience that I will never forget.

But I digress. After buying my suitcase, Nikki found some place to print her pictures and then she went to check on the train to the airport. Ania and I went to the grocery store inside the mall to pick up a few things that we would need for the coming days: bread, snack food, drinks, etc. After walking back to the apartment and dropping off the food and my new suitcase, we went to the market square and walked around the stalls. Ania and Nikki bought some pierogi at the market and ate it there. The then went to the internet café to check on a few things while I went back to the apartment and made myself some noodles.

We all tried to go to bed early as Nikki had to be up at 4 to catch the train to the airport at 5. None of us could fall asleep until really late (or really early depending on how you look at it) so we were running on very little sleep when the alarms went off at 4 am. Ania and I walked Nikki to the train station through the quite streets of Krakow and the dark city park. It was kind of creepy walking through the deserted streets in the semidarkness. A funny thing happened on our way back to the apartment though. We had noticed that some of the streets were wet but didn’t think anything of it until we were walking down this one street on our way back when we saw the truck driving down the street toward us. It was washing the street but the water reached all the way to the buildings. It took a second for Ania and I to register the fact that this truck was coming at us and that we were going to get wet. We turned and ran for the doorway behind us and ‘hid’ ourselves inside the doorway until the truck passed by. The driver must have done something to the water because it came no where near us. We were laughing hysterically after this happened all the way to the apartment. Once back at the apartment we zonked out until noonish or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment