Sunday, February 8, 2009

A rainy start for a great Saturday

Saturday morning I got a 7:30 am wake-up 'call' when one of the guys knocked on our door. A bunch of the group was planning on going to Pisa yesterday but when they woke in the morning it was raining. The guy who knocked on the door was just politely telling us that Bob said the weather called from rain all day so they were not going to go to Pisa after all. We thanked him for telling us and I promptly rolled over a fell back asleep.

I woke up again at 9 when my alarm went off. I got up, got dressed, and went to eat breakfast. I had been planing on going for a walk into the city today and woke up Ania and Allyson because they wanted to come with. But, as we still didn't know whether is was going to rain all day or not we decided to wait until the afternoon. So I grabbed my laptop and a bunch of homework and took it out into the lounge so the maid was able to clean our room.

I finished my reading for Global Issues and the homework for language. I then watched a few YouTube videos that Ania suggested and spent a good hour crying over them. Finally, it was about 2 o'clock when I had enough. I wanted to go to the Duomo for Mass, so I rounded up the troops and told them. Here's how it worked out.

Allyson, being a little sick, and Ania would meet Betsy and I in front of the Duomo at 5:45pm and then we would all go out to dinner. Betsy and I walked down from Fiesole deep into Firenze. We walked down following the route the #7 bus takes. We stopped at the Supermarket bus stop and then hitched a ride the rest of the way to the Duomo. I went to Mass while Betsy walked across the river to a cafe she wanted to try out. At 5:45, when Mass was over, I met the three of them in front of the Duomo. We walked around a bit until we came to the restaurant a little ways down from Za-Za. We decided to eat here because prices were good.

Each of us ordered something different. Allyson order fungi pizza, Betsy the gnocchi, Ania ordered linguine with calamari, and I ordered penne agli scampi (pasta with shrimp). Everything tasted delicious. When I got my plate, the shrimp were the kind you needed to de-shell, de-leg, de-everything to get to the meat. Ania had to show me how because I never had shrimp that had eyes before. I had a little accident while trying to get the meat from out of the shell. Using a knife and fork, I accidentally moved to quickly or something because, one second all the shells/legs are on the plate, the next some are on the floor. I felt soooo embarrassed. But, dinner was good and the four of us had a great time.

We finally made it back to Villa Bonelli after doing a little side-street shopping and waiting for what seemed like forever at the stazione for the #7 bus. It was after 9 by the time we got back. Right when we got back to Fiesole it started to sprinkle and when we made it into Villa Bonelli it started to rain. Some people wanted to go to JJs but I didn't want to go out in the rain. Plus, by the time they left Villa Bonelli, it was closing in on midnight anyway. I know, I'm an early bird who likes to go to bed before midnight. I need my 8 hours of sleep otherwise I get cranky. But, I read a little before going to bed, after showering, and saying good night to those still in Villa Bonelli.

No comments:

Post a Comment