Wednesday, March 18, 2009

St. Patrick's Day

St. Patrick’s Day. Two days before my mother’s birthday. A Tuesday here in Italy.

I had my literature class this morning. None of us knew what we were going to do for class since she pushed back the final to next week. So when we arrived in class we were surprised with a movie of one of Machiavelli’s works. We get about 30 minutes into the movie before it stops working. Chiara was frustrated with it because she had purchased the movie and it wasn’t working. So instead, we talked about a contemporary of Machiavelli before calling class 40 minutes early. That was our last literature class. I didn't realize that until later that day. It's kind of weird to think about it, that we're that close to being done with our semester abroad.

Those of us in literature went back to Villa Bonelli to wait until Language class at 11. What we found upon returning to class was most of the guys already drinking in lieu of St. Patrick’s Day. Did I mention that most of the group was wearing green? It was weird to see all the various shades of green everyone was wearing. Freaky weird. But, it is a major day in America and the Irish Pubs in Italy go all out for it too.

In Language class we watched part of a movie as well. This time it was on purpose though. We had a little assignment dealing with the beginning of the movie and then we watched the first part of the movie for the rest of class. “A Beautiful Life” is the title of the movie, in English, although we watched it in Italian with English subtitles. Before we left class, Chiara handed out a practice test for us to work on as our Italian final is also next week. The practice test was not so difficult once I focused on it but everything was in Italian and I’m not the greatest at understanding the language yet.

The rest of the afternoon was spent doing laundry for me. With the dryer broken, I had to hang everything up. There were clothes all over the bathroom, the room, the window and the shutters. Any possible place for me to hang something, there was a piece of clothing on it. But my laundry is done now and I will have the pick of my clothes for the Almalfi coast this weekend.

I still haven’t heard from Dr. Minnerath yet but I’m hoping tomorrow I’ll get a response back. My whole schedule is a mess due to the switch in the Honors course. I’m thinking of taking Analytical Chemistry but the lab interferes with my Micro lab. As it is I’m sitting at only 13 credits and I need 15 for my scholarship. I don’t know what Bio Research to sign up for if Minnerath is not teaching next semester. She really needs to get back to me so I can finalize everything. Ugh!!!!

On the brighter side, though, Bob thinks that Wi-Fi maybe up tomorrow. One can only hope at this point, but I’m not holding my breath. It’s off to bed with me now. Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment