Wednesday, March 18, 2009

March 14th

Today we hiked Cinque Terre. We bought our ticket at Monterosso, grabbed a map, and hopped on the train to the first of the five cities. Our ticket included our passes onto the trail, bus and train transport to and in the cities, and many other things we weren’t aware of until we got back to Monterosso.

We took the train from Monterosso to Riomaggiore, where we then hiked the Via dell’amore or lover’s lane, the first part of the five hour total hike. Unfortunately for us, that was the only part of the Coastal Paths that was opened. But the path was a gorgeous to walk along and I took many pictures that I will upload as soon as possible. We picked a beautiful day to hike because it was sunny and warm and the views were postcard perfect. We stopped many times along the way to just look and soak up the sun.

When we got to Manorola, the 2nd city, we walked along the coastal path as long as we could before turning back. Before we did that, though, we walked out onto these rocks in this cove area and sat and enjoyed the view and the sun. I have a fair share of pictures, even though my battery threatened death multiple times throughout the day. From the 2nd city we took the train to the 3rd city of Corniglia. Here we climbed 328 steps to the top of the cliff where the city is at. I bought some earrings to match two of my necklaces: one I bought in San Gimignano and the other I got for my birthday, the Lia Sophia one. I also swear I saw Robert Patterson driving in the city but I might have been mistaken. We then walked back down the 328 steps to catch the train to the next city.

We decided against stopping in the 4th city of Vernazza today because it was 5:30 before we got on the train. When we were back in Monterosso, our first order of business was finding the meat we were grilling tonight and the pasta we were cooking. I split from the group to head back to our ‘guesthouse’ as my contacts were killing my eyes. On the way I stopped at this little corner store right before the steps up to our guesthouse. I bought these caring for 1 euro each. One was of two dolphins and the other was a turtle. The turtle’s shell came off so it’s like a little jewelry holder or some other such thing.

We are now grilling and cooking our food outside, preparing for dinner. Whew!!! Dinner was an event. There was no stove so everything was cooked on the grill. Three different types of pastas had to be cooked before Lorenzo even got to the meat. It was a great time, great party, and everyone way enjoying themselves. Unfortunately, one plate and four glasses were broken during the night. Tomorrow, we will fess up to the owner when we pay fro the rooms. But, we cleaned up everything: washed all the dishes, pots and panes, glasses, and silverware we used and didn’t use; we cleaned the tables and all the cooking areas; and we put everything back to where it was when we found it.

I am now sitting in my bed, finishing writing this. I feel the sun I got today on my face and arms. When I wake tomorrow I’m sure I’ll be slightly burnt. I cannot wait to get back to Firenze and Fiesole though. This weekend was a great trip with all of us but…well but. There seems to be always a but on our trips. For this trip, it’s the fact that I don’t like to get drunk. I don’t like to lose control of myself that much. People say they don’t like to lose control of themselves yet still get drunk, but that’s not me. I’ve never been falling on the floor, puking my guts out, cannot remember what I did last night drunk, and I don’t ever want to be. Some people on this trip must don’t understand that about me. I feel like I need to be the sober, responsible one when everybody else is drunk. I don’t mind it, taking on that responsibility. I like to feel useful and needed, and if filing that position is how I can do that then that’s fine with me. I’m not going to apologize for not being drunk and making a fool of myself by being loud and running on the beach. I’m not sorry that I don’t do those things. I have fun my own way and that’s just not it.

We now since I’ve vented, I’m going to bed. Very therapeutic, venting is. Good for the body and soul. Bonanotte! Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment