Monday, March 9, 2009

Oh what a day!!!

Okay, Monday mornings really blow. I mean it. I didn't sleep well last night and then had to go to class this morning. The only upside was that it's warming up here in Fiesole. We had Bob's Global Issues class this morning and then the rest of the day was mine to do with as I pleased.

I wrote a little something for the sisters of SAI and have decided to post the part about International Women's Day here as well to better explain this great day. I got most of this information off of the website to go there if you want to know more.

International Women’s Day is a global day celebrating the economic, political and social achievements of women past, present and future. It is now an official holiday in China, Armenia, Russia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bulgaria, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Macedonia, Moldova, Mongolia, Tajikistan, Ukraine, Uzbekistan and Vietnam (http://www.internationalwomensday.com/). It is a day for confronting issues, discussing topics, and expanding our horizons. Events were celebrated across the globe on this day and the days preceding it as well as throughout the entire month of March.

Following the decision agreed at Copenhagen in 1911, International Women's Day (IWD) was honoured the first time in Austria, Denmark, Germany and Switzerland on 19 March. More than one million women and men attended IWD rallies campaigning for women's rights to work, vote, be trained, to hold public office and end discrimination. However less than a week later on 25 March, the tragic 'Triangle Fire' in New York City took the lives of more than 140 working women, most of them Italian and Jewish immigrants. This disastrous event drew significant attention to working conditions and labour legislation in the United States that became a focus of subsequent International Women's Day events (http://www.internationalwomensday.com/about.asp). Now it is a day to honor mothers, girlfriends, wives, sisters, and colleagues.

Now that that is over, I'll tell you of the rest of my day. Ania and I and the others in our little group worked on what we're doing for after. So the decision as of today is that we are going to go to Poland right after the program is done. Somehow get to Krakow and spend the majority of our time there, Ania and I. There is soooo much to do and we're booking tours and events and getting an apartment set up. The site is: http://www.krakow-tours.com/. Turns out Prague is only a 6 hour car drive away so we'll visit it one of the days we're there. Nikki, this other girl coming with us, will be with us for the first week before meeting up with others in France.

Also, on one of my Yahoo! groups I'm a member of, they are celebrating Reader Appreciation and Read an E-book week. You can only win once from the group but as many times for the author contests. I won the first author contest yesterday because I'm in Italy and thus ahead of most of the people in this group. Today I won as part of the group giving away books.

So I have had a really great day. It started out kind of blah, went a little stressful and has ended greatly. I'm going to bed early though as I have an early class. Mi manca tutto di voi!!! CIAO!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment