Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Wednesday, I feel better just for spite

Ash Wednesday. The first day of Lent. I woke up today reminding myself: "ok, no snaking, no meat, light breakfast (not that its not anyway), and what am I doing for Lent?" Well, breakfast was light, just a yogurt and croissant without jam or nutella. I didn't snack, except for an apple for lunch, and had no meat today. Yah for me!!!

I went to history class this morning. We got our tests back and I did okay. Luciana said she doesn't grade based on points, more on what we know. The questions for the test were hard ones, especially since some had two possible answers. So, she's going to tell us our grade next week. We were given a short reading assignment for homework and then read more about the Medici for the rest of class.

Between classes I tried to work out the kinks and soreness in my back but failed miserably. I also posted pictures on facebook and my videos I made from Carnevale. Then we had language again.

I don't feel like I'm really learning in language. I'm frustrated over the lack of progress we've made. I know I shouldn't expect sooo much from it but I want to have a better handle of the language. It sucks not being able to understand what the teachers are saying to us, that they have to translate. I also don't want to get jipped by anyone when it come purchases.

Anyway, after language class we had a little over an hour before the big Ash Wednesday event in town. We walked down to this little chapel that is rarely used. This was where the procession started. We then walked, en mass, to the cathedral in town asking the various saints to 'pray for us.' Now, the entire mass was in Italian but I know some parts and know when we're asking for the saints to pray for us.

After processing into the church, Mass started. We then went up to receive our ashes at the appropriate time. Back home, in both my hometown and at school, on Ash Wednesday the priest makes a cross on your forehead with the ashes. Today, we bowed our heads and the priest sprinkled the ashes on the crown of our head. It was different but you go with the flow. Mass then proceeded onward as normal.

I have never seen so many clergyman all together at once before. When we were in the little chapel, over half of it was filled with priests, brothers, maybe even a few monks. There were also quite a number of nuns as well. And when we were in the cathedral, the use of incense was the most I've seen as well. Thank heavens that the cathedral had very high ceilings otherwise there would have been more coughing going on as the use of incense was very high.

After Mass, instead of walking back up to Villa Bonelli and then on to La Reggia, a few of us went into JJ's to wait the half-hour until dinner. We had a drink, played darts, and gossiped before walking up the hill to La Reggia.

As it was Ash Wednesday, it was a meat-less dinner. We had great pasta with tomato and pesto sauce for the first course. The second course consisted of really hot roasted potatoes and omelets; dessert was tiramisu. The main topic of conversation was our trips this weekend. The majority of the group is headed off to Switzerland this weekend for skydiving and snow-fun. Two are going to Barcelona while the other two are going to Venice. We're all going to have soooo much fun though.

I'm not taking my laptop with me this weekend so don't expect anymore blogs after this until I get back. I'll keep track, manually, of my going-ons so you won't miss a thing. Expect a lot of entries early next week. I'll try and get my Carnevale pictures up before I leave but don't hold your breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment