Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Noah, where's the ark

Tuesday dawned an okay day after a crazy night for most of us here. A lot of people went out to J.J.'s for Joey's birthday and had a great time. It was when they came back that it affected me. All I remember hearing was this load crash. Not the type of crash you hear if glass falls and shatters but definitely like the crash you hear when something big falls. I thought to myself that I hope no one fell down or broke anything. I find out the next morning that Joey ran into one of the tables in the girls' hallway and that was what the loud noise was. Crazy.

I had my early class, 9 am for Italian Literature. Our teacher, Chiara, told us we would be having our midterm exam next week, yucky, but I guess they have to grade us somehow and tests are it. We read three more cantos from Dante before talking briefly about the exam. Two hours from the start of class, we started our Italian Language class, also taught by Chiara. Again, exam next week, only this time on Wednesday the second day of language classes. In language we went over masculine and feminine articles.

After class we all came back to Villa Bonelli. First, Ania, Allyson, and I went to this little pastry shop that sells pizza by the slice. Each of us picked up a little lunch and brought it back to Allyson's new room. Allyson's all by herself now and Ania and I joined her in her room for a couple hours after class.

Of course, it was around the time right after we get back to Villa Bonelli that it starts to rain again. My Yahoo! weather said light rain; this was no light rain but instead another downpour of rain. It wouldn't be soooo bad to have a rain a lot if we were given some variety. I mean, throw in a thunderstorm or two to mix things up a bit and make life a little interesting, please! Allora. Due to the rain, I was unable to go for my walk yesterday but hopefully will today as it is once again not raining so far this morning. Instead, I stayed in my room and sat on my laptop until we decided to go out for dinner.

As it was Tuesday, we were on our own for dinner. I didn't want to eat with the whole group and neither did a few others. Ania, Allyson, Betsy, and I decided to try the pizza place the guys went to last week, but when we were on the bus we missed our stop and thus decided to go all the way into town and eat at Za-Za again. When we get to Za-Za, we have to wait to see if they have room for us. The entire upstairs floor looks empty to me but I don't comment. Finally we're told that we can go eat and the waitress leads us down to the basement to this table in the corner. It's now going on 8 pm.

The basement is filled with Americans, that's the only language I hear being spoken. I felt kind of caged and hidden as if they didn't want anyone important to know that they serve Americans. But, after we finally decided what to order and our waiter took our order, we started to relax and have fun. We had ordered a 1/2 liter of the house white wine and finished it before we even got our food. It seemed, to me, to take a very long time to bring us our food, but when they did it was all together, not a plate here or there. Each of us ordered something different: Ania had pasta and clams; Allyson had a spicy, stuff pasta; Besty ordered seafood skewers, and I had fettuccine with pesto. We also order another 1/2 liter of the house wine, this time red.

We had a great time at the restaurant. We were able to relax, away from the group, and able to laugh over nothing. Just four girls have fun in a foreign city. We then finally asked for the check. Thank goodness for Betsy to have read the receipt because there were two charges that weren't ours. We told our waiter and he fixed it so no harm done but it was an extra 14 euro that was added to our bill. We left Za-Za saying next time we'll try elsewhere as we've been there twice now.

We started walking back to the bus stop then. We each wanted to get gelato for dessert so looked for a good place to buy some. On the way to the street with all the shops, we passed by these guys sitting on the sidewalk. As we passed, one of them said something along the lines of "I'll buy wine for love" or some other such nonsense while another neighed at us. All of us broke out laughing because it was just too hilarious to think that we were being neighed at.

We finally came to a gelato place and each order two scoops in the smallest dish. Turned out to be 6 euro each, a bit expensive, but it was good gelato. When we finally hopped on the bus it was closing in on 10 pm. There was like no one on the bus. A few people here and there but practically just the four of us. We continued in our way of laughing and talking while the rest of the bus was silent. We get back to Fiesole and decided not to join the others as we four are all exhausted and ready for bed.

Such was my day for Tuesday. Let's hope that Wednesday is a little better.

Mille e mille di questi giorni! (Thousand and thousand of these days.) Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment