Monday, January 12, 2009

First Day of Class

So today, January 12, we had our first day of classes here in Italy: Global Issues and then Business and Politics. I didn't sign up for either the Business or the Politics class so I only had Global Issues which lasted a half-hour, basically it was a syllabus class. Our classroom is just down the street and just big enough to hold the 15 of us. Bob teaches the Global Issues course so it should be pretty interesting. Afterwards, I went back to the room to read the books we're assigned but instead fell asleep for a short nap.

When the Business and Politics courses finished we all took the Number 7 bus into Florence. We first went to this 99 cent store where we browsed through the items available. Betsy and I picked up close pins and laundry detergent. We have a washer and dryer available for use but the dryer, we're told, is a little iffy. So, outside my window is a sort of laundry line that Betsy and I will utilize for drying clothes as well as our heated towel racks in the bathroom.

After the 99 cent store we went next door into this little shop that had shoes and purses and scarves and jewelry. I looked at the shoes but didn't know my European shoe size. Some of the shoes were just gorgeous, I'll definitely have to go back. Ania helped me pick out the green plaid cashmere scarf that looks and feels amazing. Then Betsy, Eldon, and I split from the other group and headed toward the Supermarket. We stopped along the way at another cute little shop where I promptly bought this dragonfly hair clip. It looked super cute so I just had to buy it, impulse shopping.

At the Supermarket, I picked up a bottle of wine for under 2 Euro and six 2 liter bottles of water. We then walked to the nearest number 7 bus stop where we just missed the bus and then had to wait like 20 minutes before the next number 7 bus came. Thank you to all those who studied previous years in Florence, you were right about the number 7 bus being our friend.

We went again to Etruscan (spelling is probably off) for dinner. Tonight we had spaghetti with red sauce, which to me tasted better than last night's pasta, and then grilled chicken. Last night we spent two-and-a-half hours at the restaurant, tonight only one-and-a-half. I'm now going to bed for I have 2 classes in the morning and I am still not caught up on sleep. Ciao for now.


2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful country. It is nice that you are there in the summer/spring. What are the places that you have in your pictures?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The places in all of my pictures are in Fiorenze. I'll try and put captions on the pics.

    ReplyDelete