Monday, March 23, 2009

March 21, 2009--Capri

Today, we woke up super early and met at the reception desk at 7:45. We then took the bus down to the marina to take a ferry over to Capri. We waited at the marina for about an hour because our ferry didn't leave until 9:15 am. It was very cold and windy and the waves were very choppy. Riding the ferry was very cool, it was like a really big bus/train with rows of seats for people to sit on. Not exactly what I'd pictured, but then I'd never ridden a ferry before.

When we got to Capri we were told that going to the Blue Grotto was definitely out as the waves were too choppy. Taken from Wikipedia: The Blue Grotto (Grotta Azzurra) is a noted sea cave on the coast of the island of Capri, Italy. Sunlight, passing through an underwater cavity and shining through the seawater, creates a blue reflection that illuminates the cavern.

Instead, half the group took a bus up to Capri Town while the other half walked up. I walked up and was definitely feeling yesterday's walk in my calves. I could feel my tendons stretching as we walked up stairs and inclines to get to the town. The walk up took about 15-20 minutes and we met the group that took the bus up on the top. After numerous pictures were taken, we started walking through the town. We walked past what is known as the living room of Capri, one of the main squares where people can people-watch.

We then walked to Augustus' Garden. This garden is very beautiful and has many gorgeous views of the water as it's set up sooo high. After the garden, we walked down this very winding path to get to the beach (check out my photos to see the path.) At the beach, it was warmer as we were on the other side of the island. Many people, Betsy and Bailey included, went for a dip in the sea. I chilled out, enjoyed the view, and did a little Sudoku. The group went off to have lunch while Betsy and I stayed at the beach and ate what we brought with us. We joined up with the group eating lunch when it got a little chilly on the beach.

After lunch, the three of us girls and Allyson, our tour guide, walked back up the winding path to the town. We bought some gelato and did a little tourists shopping. I bought some bottles of Lemoncello to bring back home for the family to taste. The four of us then walked back down to the marina where Betsy and Bailey bought sweatshirts at one of the shops. I bought a dishtowel with a map of Italy on it showing all the various types of pasta in Italy. I'm sure Aunt Jen will get a kick out of it.

After taking the ferry back to Sorrento and the bus back to our hostel, there was a mad dash for the showers in the girls bathroom. Dinner that night was provided by the hostel. It was a Mexican barbecue with chicken or beef tacos. I good meal and, with the cover band playing, decent entertainment. I called it, or tried to, early to prepare for Sunday. I ended up staying up until midnight like I normally do then falling asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment